Calgary Canada Mission

My 18 months as a sister missionary speaking Spanish in Calgary!

Friday, March 20, 2015

The Lord is my light


Wow ok this is has been a week to remember. So huge accomplishment to the sister of the Provo MTC. WE FINALLY OUTNUMBER THE ELDERS! For the first time in MTC history we barely outnumber the Elders....hahaha and now they outnumber us again because we just got a new batch of missionaries yesterday.It didn't last long but for a little bit we did! Haha thank goodness for that age change all except for the building have one Girls bathroom and like five Elders bathrooms but all is well. Second my Branch President is the coolest person in the entire world. So he is an author and his book is the #1 on Barnes and Nobles best sellers. He personally knows the prophet...The PROPHET!!!! Also get this he sends his yearly goals to the prophet and the prophet gives him feedback. He also know a whole bunch of other General Authorities. He is the best, my whole branch presidency is amazing. This is the greatest place in the entire world....but also the most difficult. So let's start with the my spiritual week. So on crashed and burned on Saturday with my Spanish so that a little depressing so my week started out kind of sad. But then I went to church! The greatest thing in the entire world is Sunday and I truly do believe that! Sunday and P-days because we get to go to the temple. But anyway I was having a really hard time and let me just tell you how amazing the Lord is. My Branch President had pulled me aside for interviews and asked me "how are you doing" and or course I said the typical answer of "good" but I know that he is inspired of God because I wasn't fine and I was really struggling. So Present Shallenburger looked at me and he said "I hear frustration in your email this week, and I can see it in your eyes right now. Hermana Allphin how are you doing" He helped me so much it was like I could feel the spirit speaking to me through him. He showed me a scripture in  D&C 4 and D&C 107:30-31. They are scriptures of the savior promising me that if I was working my hardest he would not let me fail. So I had prayed my guts out telling him that I would try my hardest but I needed help. This is because Spanish for some reason is not clicking in my head. So after I was spiritually recharged on Sunday I went to work.So the week rolls around and I was so scared because I had 4 lessons to teach that day, but I convinced myself to have courage and I taught. So of course when we went in there it was that awkward Spanish of I only know how to say hi and is it ok if we pray? Haha so there was no messing around we just dove right into the lesson. I started and I could feel the frustration start to creep back in because my investigator Ivelisse had asked us a question and I didn't know how to answer it in Spanish. But as I was sitting there I looked down and saw my name tag. For some reason my eyes didn't see the Hermana Allphin all I saw in big white letters was the name Jesucristo. In that moment the spirit hit me so hard. Jesus Christ, I was not in that room for me...I was in that room for the Savior. So I pulled myself together and told my mind to pull myself together, get rid of that terrible natural man and realise that Jesus christ has entrusted me. He has literally given me his name and he believes in me. I am a representative of Jesus Christ. So I sat up in my chair and look my investigator in the eyes and tried to look at her through the savior's eyes. My Spanish didn't by some miracle get better but I was able to communicate the message we had for her. The lesson could have gone on forever but due to the lack of time we had to stop. That was miracle one, and then another miracle was as we went to member TRC Hermana Johnson and I had a short lesson planned on the savior's atonement in our lives. We thought it would be appropriate because of Easter coming up. So we went in there and I told myself I was going to smile and not get discouraged and so I did. I was able to bear my testimony and I felt to the Spirit. Almost like I could feel how happy the savior was for representing him in that moment. It wasn't just me either Hermana Johnson was so in tune with spirit. She had this feeling like we should challenge them to read all of the four Gospels by easter because that what the Savior's atonement is. I felt like a missionary. I really did, my heart was leaping inside of me. The Spanish still wasn't that good, but it didn't matter because the spirit doesn't need words to speak. The next miracle was Spanish....so once again I didn't understand the grammar in the Spanish Language. It's all backwards in my head so that's half of what's been getting me really upset. So we went into class and I raised my hand and said "Hermano Byers I just don't get it" So he took me up to the white board and he had my practice examples. I swear I don't know how it happened but as he was explaining it again it just clicked. It's like the Lord flipped a light switch in my head. I don't understand how it happened but it did and I got it!!! Yes it's only one of the many things to learn with grammar but I understand. If I could drop to my knees right there I would of, it was such a tender mercy. Then my last miracle of the week. That night I had one more lesson until P-day and Hermana Johnson and I were teaching Vienna and Carlos who are looking for a church to raise their baby (They are my teachers but they are really representing their good friends). So I went in there and once again I told myself to represent the savior and I smiled and it was a miracle I spoke. I spoke the best I have ever spoken before. What happened was Vienna had told me she didn't understand why Joseph Smith was important. Hermana Johnson and I were suppose to teach the Plan of Salvation and I really felt like that is what we were suppose talk. So we started going and all of the sudden I totally realised why Joseph Smith was crucial to the Plan of Salvation and I just spoke, it was so incredible. I just started talking and hermana Johnson started talking and I swear it really was the spirit. It was like I was being taught while I was speaking. Ahhh incredible. The Lord is incredible he lives! He Lives and he is standing by my side. I love the Lord so much! 
Have a wonderful week familia!
Love Hermana Allphin (your soon to be Canadian Missionary)
Sister Jacklin & Sister Allphin

The girls in my district and I were "piemary" colors for pie day. It was not even planned until one of the Elders commented. Hahaha best ever. So we found this wheelchair....hahaha we died because it was just a random lone wheelchair and also the tag says Property of the Lame!  It was so funny I had to take a picture. We have no idea who it belongs to! But I guess miracles happen at the MTC. Hahaha SO funny!





No comments:

Post a Comment