Calgary Canada Mission

My 18 months as a sister missionary speaking Spanish in Calgary!

Thursday, March 12, 2015

And then there were 8....

So this week we lost the entire zone basically. 2 of the 3 districts left to their missions Monday Morning. It's been real crazy having such a little zone....literally the entire zone is my district. Haha Hermana Johnson and I are Sister Training leaders of the zone...of the 4 girls I should say. There are no new Spanish missionaries this week so we will see about next week. Haha it's been real quiet. So I have to tell you about one of my pictures. So the picture where I am standing next to the fire hose that says "Hosé Smith"  haha the girls in my district and I died laughing. All because we were all walking up to go to bed and we were practicing our testimonies and we look up ans see Hosé Smith. In Spanish it would actually be José Smith but it just made my day. Only in the MTC would you ever find that. Oh and apparently I have an manly hand shake....hahaha what?! When we were shaking hands with the elder's and hugging the sisters goodbye....I found out I have a very firm manly handshake. Haha so I guess I am going to have to work on that. It's been kind of weird only having 8 people. Meals have been so much more quiet but it all good. I really liked my district but I love my zone. You will have to tell the Erickson's that their cousin was in my zone! All the hermanas, but one, went to California. Then all the Elders went to Argentina in a ton of different missions. Haha Everyone I meet thinks it's hilarious I am headed to Canada but haha I love it. After hearing about Chantelle's mission I am more than grateful I am going to a 1st world country with a Wal-Mart. But I do wish them the very best. I love you all.

 This week has been a little ruff. Our goal was to get through the entire restoration lesson so that we could move on with our investigators but I seriously didn't know the Spanish. So I got really down on my self especially Monday which was so ruff. We have 5 investigators and I feel like every time I went in to teach a lesson I would feel the spirit so strong telling me what I need to say but the problem was I only knew how to say it in English. So in the lesson where I would say " When all of the Apostles died the priesthood authority, god's direct power, was taken from the earth...." and all that good stuff but when I taught in Spanish it came out like " Jesucristo y apostles (I think I just made up that word) muerte. No authoridad." which basically translates into Jesus Christ and Apostles dead, no authority. which makes absolutely no sense whats so ever, and it isn't even the right grammar. So I just got really really down. But then I went to the Tuesday fireside and Elder Quinton L. Cook was there and he just spoke to my heart. He talked about making the mission calls and the impressions that the Apostles get on where to assign missionaries and I just knew that this is what god needs. I was still stressing about it though until I went back to class and my teacher Hermana Tuft said something about being a representative of the Lord. She said that we represent him and ever lesson that we give we should go there and speak to those people as if the Savior was sitting beside us. That we should show them as much love as he would and listen to the spirit as he would. If we however go into the lesson wondering what to say, worrying about the language, and stressing because we can't understand then we will fail and the spirit wont be able to teach. So for me I knew, I knew without a shadow of a doubt I had to have me faith. .So I tried it...and it was the scariest thing in my entire life. Hermana Johnson and I said a prayer that Heavenly Father would help us and then we went in there and taught the lesson. Let me tell you I have never felt more confident in my Spanish. I don't how but it worked. It really worked. When I talked to the investigator after to give us our evaluation he said that was the best lesson we have ever given. He also said that he understood all of our Spanish completely. It wasn't perfect and there was grammar error's but the lesson as completely 100% understandable. I died, I literally wanted to drop to my knees right there. I know I have a long ways to go with Spanish, and let me tell you I am so grateful for all your many prayers, but I know that the Lord is with me every hour.  It made me think of the hymn "I need thee every hour" Because I really do. Without the savior I can't do this, I am nothing and I will not get this language. But that's not the case, because I do have the Savior. I do have him and for some reason he believes in me, he has entrusted me to represent him so I am going to do my very best. So I know I will get this language. I know I will because I know that with Christ anything is impossible. If he can help Nephi build an entire ship to carry them across the ocean...well then he can without a doubt help me learn Spanish. I love you all so much. Keep praying for me to get this language. I love you all!
Love Hermana Allphin

Shaylee at the MTC



this is the zone girls




No comments:

Post a Comment